Two Years and Counting

Katherine Grace
November 22, 2009, 8:58 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

Sorry for the late update, and this one will probably be short and sweet. I’ve hardly had a second to get on the computer in the last week, and I just have a few minutes now.

Kate is here! She arrived about a week and a half ago, Wednesday November 11 at 3:55pm after about 8 hours of labor–5 of which were really productive and promising–but which ended with a c-section. The night before, I had a cervical catheter put in, which caused extreme cramping. Definitely not a fun thing. I had to get pain medicine when I couldn’t handle it anymore. The pain medicine made me get sick a couple of times, which isn’t unusual for me. Me and pain meds usually don’t mix well together. The next morning, they broke my water at 6, and by 7:50 I was at 5 cm! I kind of freaked out because I know people usually have their epidurals by then, but I wasn’t in any pain at all at that point. However, I was scared of getting to the point that I was at the night before with the cramping, so I didn’t wait too long before asking for the epi. That wasn’t bad either. I kept jumping when he’d do anything, and he had to keep telling me to stop moving and relax my shoulders, but it didn’t really hurt. By 11 I was at 9 cm, and started pushing at 11:40. All the nurses were saying, “This baby is coming so fast, you’re going to be out of here by lunchtime!” They all made me feel like I could really do it, that this baby was really coming. And the weird thing was, the labor and pushing process wasn’t near as bad as I’d made it out to be in my head. I was so scared of the process, but this one nurse who sat with us the whole time was just so encouraging and sweet, and plus my husband was wonderfully supportive and helpful. As I was pushing, I kind of felt like superwoman, like what I was doing was proving myself somehow. I don’t know, that sounds weird.

Anyway, after those successful few hours, the brakes just hit. I had to have another dose of my epidural, which caused everything to fall completely asleep. Before, I still had control over my legs and could feel enough to know how to push, but with that extra boost, I couldn’t even tell if I was pushing. My pushes weren’t effective in getting Kate’s head under the pu.bic bone, and she couldn’t progress, so my doctor suggested the section. She said she could use the vacuum once or twice if we wanted, which we did, so we tried that but it still didn’t work. M and I were both really disappointed, especially since things had gone so well all morning. And I was scared of the surgery and the recovery. They took M to talk to our family and fill them in, and while he was gone, about a million people came into the room–more nurses, staff from the NICU just in case they were needed, and I don’t know who else. They wheeled me into the operating room and M joined me there. I was so nauseated from the epi and from whatever else they gave me for the section, that I was concentrating on not throwing up as they moved me from one bed to the other. The section itself wasn’t bad, but again, I was feeling so sick. It was over quickly and as soon as they lifted her from me I started crying. It was such relief knowing she was out and was ok–I heard everyone talking about how small she was and how cute she was, so I knew things were ok.

To make a long story short, she’s perfectly healthy, just teeny! 5 lbs 13 oz at birth! She dropped down to 5 lbs 7 oz in the hospital, but was already back up to her birth weight a few days later. We stayed in the hospital til Sat, then came home. My mom stayed with us that first week, and M’s mom has been here a couple nights. This first week has been really tough, to tell you the truth. Those first few nights of getting no sleep as we were figuring out feeding and sleeping, etc, was so hard. I was pretty tearful for several days, which is what happens to me when I don’t get any sleep. I won’t say we’ve turned a corner, but I will say we’re trying a few different things to help Kate sleep more between feedings at night (she sleeps like a champ during the day, but at night, likes to stay up between feedings, which means I’m up for hours at a time.) Last night was wonderful–M and I both got about 6 hours of sleep, so we’re going to try to duplicate what we did last night in the hopes that it’ll work again!

But overall, we’re over the moon about Kate. It’s still so surreal to have a baby. We both just are amazed that she’s here and that everything went so well. I now understand what people mean when they say being a mom is incredibly hard but incredibly wonderful. And I’m sure I’ll come to understand that even more. It’s just not anything I could have prepared for, no matter how many books i read about it. (Sort of like labor–that’s just something you have to go through to get it!)

Sorry for the scattered thoughts and incomplete update, but that’s all I’ve got time for! I hope you all are doing well.


2 Comments so far
Leave a comment

Welcome to baby Kate!

Comment by andreajennine

Congratulations!!! Your little one was born just about a week after mine. =)

I’m so glad she’s here safe & hang in there momma. Those first few weeks and months are tough, but they pass quickly and it gets MUCH easier! ((hugs))

Comment by mrslala

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: