Two Years and Counting

IUI #2
February 10, 2008, 8:53 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

Well, it’s the evening after my IUI, and I feel much better than after my first IUI.  Last month, I had a good (or actually bad) bit of cramping the night of, but none so far this time.  And thankfully, my rear end isn’t sore anymore!  I’ll tell you what, last night my hip where the nurse gave me the HCG shot was incredibly sore!  Have any of you been sore from the shot?  During the day yesterday, it was a little sensitive, but nothing too bad. But as the day wore on, it got more and more sore.  Last night, we had some friends over for dinner, and when I got up from the table (after sitting still for an hour or so) I felt like I couldn’t even walk normally!  I seem to remember getting a couple of shots when I was younger where they’d tell me to make sure to move my arm a lot so it wouldn’t get sore. I wonder if that was the case here.  But the thing is, I was moving a lot yesterday.  Anyway, today it’s much better. 

M went in at 7:30 this morning to leave his sample, and I was supposed to be there at 9:00.  The doctor on call was one of the male doctors, so that was a little bit of a surprise.  He was nice though, introduced himself and shook my hand–the hand that was gripping my husband’s “specimen” tightly in its little tube. (As soon as you walk in the room for an IUI at this office, the nurse hands you the goods in a little zippered plastic bag and instructs you to keep it warm, preferably by sticking it in your bra while you un.dress!) 

I was again amazed by how quick the procedure is.  The doctor was in the room for all of 2 minutes, maybe.  One great thing is that he said M’s count was 15 million post wash!  That’s lots better than last time when we had only abstained for about 24 hours due to the PCT the day before.  This time, we’d abstained for about 3 1/2 days, so I guess that’s a good amount of time for us–big volume but without sluggishness. 

After the quick prodcedure, the nurse told me she’d come back and get me in 10-15 minutes.  I was fine for the first 15 minutes or so, trying to imagine I was lying warm by the beach, since it was super cold in the office.  After 20 minutes, I started to get a little antsy.  I wanted to grab my phone to call Matt to tell him I was done, but I was worried the nurse would come in as soon as I hopped off the table with the sheet wrapped around me.  Finally after 30 minutes, I said Forget it and jumped down to get my phone. Then of course, as soon as I got back up on the table, she came in. I think she forgot about me.

We spent most of the rest of the day out in the sunshine.  We had absolutely glorious weather here this weekend, so it was easy to be thinking positively about a lot of things.  Like M said, it was a great weekend, but with the potential to be even greater.  If I were on facebook or one of those sites where you have to choose your mood for the day, I’d say I’m cautiously hopeful. It’s a little scary to me to be too hopeful.  I’m not sure where that line is between allowing yourself to feel full of hope, and keeping that feeling pushed down so as to not be that much more disappointed if things don’t go how I want them to. So, I’ll just stick with cautiously hopeful. 

Part of me wants to think ahead–flip forward in the calendar and see when we’d have the baby if I am pregnant, think of how we’d tell our parents, think of how I’d decorate a nursery…but I don’t let myself do those things.  I don’t pee on pregnancy tests every day during the 2 ww, and I don’t secretly look at baby clothes online.  I’ll reserve those things for when I’m really, truly, good and knocked up.

1 Comment so far
Leave a comment

Cautiously hopeful with you!

Comment by andrea_jennine

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: